Every Person Being Pierced Has The Right…
- to be pierced in a scrupulously hygienic, open environment, by a clean, conscientious piercer wearing a fresh pair of disposable examination gloves.
- to a sober, friendly, calm, knowledgeable piercer, who will guide them through their piercing experience with confidence and assurance.
- to the peace of mind which comes from knowing that their piercer knows and practices the very highest standards of sterilization and hygiene.
- to be pierced with a brand new, completely sterilized needle, which is immediately disposed of in a medical sharps container after use on the piercee alone.
- to be touched only with freshly sterilized, appropriate implements, properly used and disposed of or re-sterilized in an autoclave prior to use on anyone else.
- to know that ear-piercing guns are NEVER appropriate, and are often dangerous, when used on anything other than ear lobes.
- to be fitted only with jewelry which is appropriately sized, safe in material, design, and construction, and which best promotes healing. Gold-plated, gold-filled, and sterling silver jewelry are never appropriate for any new or unhealed piercing.
- to be fully informed about proper aftercare, and to have continuing access to their piercer for consultation and assistance with all their piercing-related questions.
This information has been provided by the Association of Professional Piercers.